KATO EPISKOPI Sitias - 2007
Bone - Church - Pipe/drain - Find Type - Cistern - Architectural terracotta - Bath - Building Type - Tomb - Religious building - Material Type - Hydraulic installation
Type of Operation
Ministry of Culture & Tourism (13th ΕΒΑ)
Kato Episkopi. M. Katiphori (13th EBA) reports on excavation and restoration at the Church of the Apostles (Fig .1) conducted between 2005-2007. The structure (Figs 2-5) began as a Middle Byzantine bath-house (10th to 11th century AD). Its elaborate system of piping can be traced: water from a heated cistern at the east was taken to a hot plunge bath at the northern apse, and then drained out through the wall; hypocaust channels heated the middle large room from below; cold water, bypassing the cisterns, went straight to the cold plunge bath at the southern apse, and then drained out. Vertical flues in the walls circulated the warmed air. The entrance and changing area were set at the west. In this respect, it is typical of such baths of the late Christian, Byzantine and early Islamic periods. Its conversion to a church occurred during the Venetian period (probably late Venetian, perhaps 16th century AD). In the Ottoman period it fell into disuse: stores and animals were quartered there. In 1896-1897 it was reconsecrated. Six main burials were located within the structure, all Venetian in date.
AEK 1 (2000), 211-22
Date of creation