VIGLIA Ierapetra - 2000
Pipe/drain - Well - Residence - Figurine - Lamp - Numismatics - Mosaic - Sculpture - Architectural terracotta - Metal - Stone - Glass - Domestic space - Building Type - Find Type - Material Type - Site Type
Type of Operation
Ministry of Culture & Tourism (ΚΔ' ΕΠΚΑ)
Viglia (Assariotakis property). S. Apostolakou (Director, ΚΔ' ΕΠΚΑ) reports on rescue excavation conducted in 2000 in the centre of the ancient city, on Pavlou Kouper Street, southeast of the Church of the Archangel Michael. Extensive evidence of house foundations and walls was discovered (Fig. 1), with at least one Hellenistic and two Roman building phases. In the northeast, a Roman well, stone built at the top, was dug 5m deep in the natural rock: its mouth was closed by a large stone and nearby was a depression suitable for a stamnos. A paved lane passed nearby, heading east. The ruins belong to an atrium house. A terracotta drain ran under the wall footings and part of a paved floor was located outside the line of the structure; elsewhere gypsum slabs marked out the atrium and a later destruction level included tesserae of glass and stone from a floor mosaic. The ancient walls continued beneath a neighbouring modern structure. Amongst the small finds are the torsos of two small marble statues, a terracotta figurine, a large pithos, a lamp, terracotta loomweights and many bronze coins.
ADelt 55 (2000) Chr, 1044-45
Date of creation