ANC. EPIDAUROS - 2000
Type of Operation
Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Δ' ΕΠΚΑ
Ancient Epidauros, road to the sanctuary. Ch. Piteros (Director, Δ' ΕΠΚΑ) reports on the cleaning of that part of the ancient road from the city of Epidauros to the Asklepieion which lies north of the sanctuary, from 2.5km after Klimaki until the site of Ag. Andreas or Galaneika.
The surviving middle part of the road is ca. 2m wide. The road remained in use into modern times, and runs along the side of a steep gorge, on the south side of the flood stream. The western part, near Klimaki, is partially buried under construction debris from the modern road between Corinth and Epidauros which runs parallel to it (a route down to the ancient road has been created at the 55km marker). Ancient wheel ruts were preserved in several places, and a roughly-worked stone square pillar is probably a road-marker (Fig. 1). The discovery at Klimaki in 1949 of an inscription − ΑΔΕ ΟΔΟΣ ΕΙΣ ΙΑ/ΡΟΝ ΚΛΕΙΝΟΥ ΘΕ/ΟΥ Ω ΠΑΡΙΟΝΤΕΣ − indicates that this was the route taken by pilgrims to Epidauros.
ADelt 55 (2000) Chr, 192−93
Date of creation