Molykreio - 2016
Molykreio. N. Kaltsas and A. Moustaka (ASA) report on continued exploration of the site mentioned in Thucydides (II.86) and Pausanias (IX.31.6) and investigated by W.M. Leake, W.J. Woodhouse and K Romaios before A. Orlandos’ excavations in 1925 and by the current excavators under the auspices of the National Museum and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2006-2015).
In 2016 excavation focused on the double stoa, indicating that it was built in 2 periods. The earlier phase was the wing looking to the NE to the stadium, which extended in front of the stoa, which had 11 stone pillars supporting its roof (Fig. 1). At a later date the stoa was doubled to the W and reached within a small distance from the temple. This part of the stoa also had 11 columns, of wood, less expensive than the stone pillars. The rooftiles of the stoa were Laconian and the SW wing is dated to the Hellenistic period.