TROIZEN, Galata-Ermioni road - 2004
Type of Operation
Troizen, Galata-Ermioni road, archaeological site of Artemis-Lemonodasos (Vessala property). Ch. Koilakou (1st EBA) reports the discovery of poorly preserved building remains with evidence of three construction phases. Phase A (late fourth- to sixth-century AD) consisted of a long room oriented northwest to southeast, with a cement floor. Construction in phase B (fifth- to sixth-century) comprised a building entered from the south, with a terracotta tiled floor and a cement-lined cistern built into its wall at the northwest. The building contained two terracotta water channels, one of which led into the cistern. In phase Γ (sixth- to seventh-century), the cistern was divided by a cross wall and a twin cist grave inserted. The limited quantity of pottery recovered included transport vessels (chiefly amphorae with the fifth- to seventh-century L/R2 type dominant), domestic pottery (chytres, plain and red-slip plates and some African Red Slip with stamped decoration), numerous fourth- to seventh-century lamps, a terracotta spool, and decorative brick shapes (from floors or walls). The 11 coins recovered comprise one coin of 1869, a sixth-century 20 nummi coin of Justinian II, a seventh-century 400 nummi of Constans II, and eight Late Roman coins.
ADelt 56-59 (2001-2004) B4, 8-10.
Date of creation