KRITSA, KROUSTAS and LIMNAKARO Lasithiou - 2008
Type of Operation
Ministry of Culture & Tourism (13th ΕΒΑ)
Lasithi area. G. Moschovi (13th EBA) reports on restoration of the churches at Kritsa (Panagia Kera) (Figs 1-7), Kroustas (Ag. Georgios) (Figs 8-15) and Limnakaro (Ag. Pnevma) (Figs 16-19) in 2005-2008. The wall- paintings were dated to the 13th to 14th centuries AD for the first; in two phases (14th-century and late 16th at the entrance) for the second; and also in two (the later to around AD 1875) for the last. The 14th century is seen as a period of great constructional activity in Crete generally (all three churches were founded at this time). At Kritsa, Venetian influence is more obvious, e.g. in the treatment of the aisle and dome windows, whilst the other two churches are smaller, with tiled roofs and low entrances closer to the local vernacular tradition. In the 16th to 17th century, the Cretan Renaissance made inroads: plastered vaults replaced tiled roofs, walls were raised and the building made more impressive, wall-painting was neglected in favour of icons and carved stone enhanced the interiors. All these traits are evident here: e.g. Kritsa received gables. Standards were not maintained in the Ottoman period, but in the later 19th century political requirements led to improvements.
AEK 1 (2010), 251-63
Date of creation